Thursday, April 7, 2011

Grace and the Horses

Grace and Nicker

There are 6 horses that live with us at the ranch.  Rose is the oldest and was here when we moved in.  We adopted Mama and her filly Miss and the boys - Hank and Shadow.  Turns out Mama was pregnant when we adopted her, Nicker arrived the following March.   Miss, Hank and Shadow are three this year and Nicker is two (she will always and forever be the baby).

We didn't know what to expect when Grace met the horses.  As it turns out, Grace loves the horses.  I don't think she ever met horses before she came to the ranch .... I'm thinking not too many horses wandering about in the industrial section of Phoenix.  At 800 or 1,000 pounds they outweigh her by a lot.  And yet, she shows no fear - goes nose to nose with them every chance she gets and is tail wagging excited to see them.

Hiya Shadow ..... I didn't know you were stopping by today.  Glad to see you - stay right there, I'm coming!

Look at that tail in the air ...... full steam ahead and tail wagging happy.

Hi Miss!!

Even from this angle, you still smell like you Miss ....

Backwards over the shoulder sniff ....Yup, still smells like you

 You got a soft nose Miss

Say Miss, does the top of my head smell like my nose? 

 Okay - this angle is good and yup .... you still smell like my Miss

I like sniffing you Miss, you smell gooooood

Come on Hank - follow me ....

 Do I smell like me Nicker?

Follow me Nicker ..... I'll show you around the yard.

Hey - do you see me? I hanging with my friend Nicker.

Whatcha looking at Nicker?

Hi Nicker!

 A little bit of grass won't keep keep good friends apart ....

I sure am happy to see you Nicker ....

Boy this is tough - two together ..... who to smell first?!!

Okay Miss, you were my very first horse I met and got to sniff - I will start with you.

Hank, it is you! Hi!!

Do I have it right Nicker? - Is this the way to graze?

Can't talk now boys - I'm on a mission

 Hi Mama! ..... Don't worry, I know you're not my Mama.  Mama is your name.  You sure smell good.

Miss - I came back to see you!

Hello boys!

Check it out .... I'm standing with the Mama while she is getting a drink.  How cool is this?!!

 Hi Nicker!

Top of my head smells like me too .... No worries Nicker, it is still me.

Thanks for putting your nose down is sniffing range, you sure do smell good Miss.

Check it out .... can you tell which one is me (Grace) and which one is Rose?  We're standing just like twins.

Miss and her Grace - or perhaps I should say ..... Grace and her Miss.

1 comment:

  1. I like that last photo - the color symmetry is pretty cool! (I know, you planned it that way) It's terrific has Grace is taking this all in stride. Such a pleasant soul.

    ReplyDelete