Monday, September 27, 2010

More Hawk ....

Looks like a young one - of course, I could be wrong as I'm not sure I could really tell the difference between a young hawk and a mature hawk.  This is one of the two we've had hanging around the creek near the house.  An amazing bird.  Beautiful bird and a regal presence. 

They usually hang out in the branches of the dead trees, I think to get a better view?  And maybe to have easier flight options?  That would be my logic if I were a hawk ..... on the other hand, everyone would know where I was cause they could see me more clearly, perched up in a tree with no leaves, so maybe that isn't the best option.  Guess I wouldn't make a very good hawk - can't figure out where is best to perch to find dinner.....not to mention, I'm not a big fan of rodents or snakes for dinner. 

A couple of days ago, one of the hawks abandoned the dead tree and tucked itself very neatly into the branches of one of the live cottonwoods.  Camera was able to capture his focused attention to the activity below him. 

 Hmmm. One leg up, keeping balance - "What is that directly below me rather on my left?  Anthing I'd like for a snack ....?"

Both feet on the branch, maybe I can get a better angle - "Wonder if whatever is making the grass move a bit off the horizon and on my right is something yummy ?" 

Watching this guy (or gal) so intently observe the activity in the creek below his (or her) perch in the cottonwood made me start to have some concerns about the safety of my kitts.  I checked into Super Soakers (high'ish powered and long'ish range water guns) and couldn't find one that would shoot more 25' away which isn't enough.  Looking at these pictures, this guy  looks pretty close - actually he was not, I used the digital zoom to get within photo opportunity range.  Where he was sitting in the tree was probably 50' or 60' off the ground and easily 75 or 100 feet away from where I was standing.

Seems as if he's decided there aren't any viable snack possibilities wandering around, so he is going to take a break from 'shopping', and just 'sit there and look pretty' ...... !


No comments:

Post a Comment