Saturday, April 17, 2010

Coffee Anyone?

I'll be the first to admit some of my "learning opportunities" with the horses ... oh heck, I might as well admit it, with the cats and the dogs too, could perhaps be called "unique" or even "non-traditional".  I like to think my ideas are common sense based.  To that end, with dogs and horses, keeping in mind there is a possiblilty that some time, some day we are out on the trail or in a situation where there isn't a bowl of water for them to drink out of -- the dogs should know how to drink out of a water bottle or a cup or my hand, and I figure the same for the horses.   Both Murphy and Gaia as well as Miss, Hank and Shadow are quite adept at drinking from a water bottle. 

As I've been working with the horses there isn't much I tell them "no" about, especially new things; I work to encourage their curiosity -- the theory is that by encouraging their curiosity they will minimize their fear and at the same time maximize their confidence.  I'll let you know in 5 or 10 years whether that theory holds water .....

So this morning when I was out visiting the herd, Nicker wondered about my coffee cup and thought she'd like a taste.  After all, I'm the one who thinks curiosity helps them learn and trust and I'm the one who encourages their curiosity - so I let "explore" my coffee cup.  She just cracks me up.  She sniffed it.  Then she tried to bite it.  Then when she'd figured out there was something inside the cup, she tried to drink it.  I should probably mention that I make my coffee stronger than strong - stronger than most people prefer it, let alone what a horse might want.


First sip of coffee - She seems a little unsure, I don't think it is what she expected - might not be too bad.

Swishing it around in her mouth to get the full flavor.  I may have a fellow coffee lover here ....

Hmmm.  That is rather conclusive - I'm pretty sure she doesn't like it.

And the faces keep on coming .....

and coming ......

I think I've learned that Nicker doesn't care for coffee.
Coffee class concluded.

1 comment:

  1. Although if I remember correctly, that's the same thing the horses at Camp would do after we fed them cold leftover oatmeal. And I'm pretty sure they liked that...

    ReplyDelete