Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wind and Snow ... Horses and a dog

So we've got wind coming out of the north to beat the band and I look out and all I see is Rosie standing in the field.  Do not see any other horses .... to the right, to the left, to the point, to the field over by JG's ... no other horses in sight.  They pretty much stay as a herd -- maybe one or two or even three or four (the kids) will wander off on their own, no matter how they spread out they are usuall within eyesight of each other and even if I can't see them all, I can find a couple of them.  For heaven's sake, we live on the plains .... rolling hills of grass.  Where are they going to hide?  As close as they've become, they wouldn't just leave Rose behind.  Same as, Rosie wouldn't stay behind unless something bad happened - whether to her or the other horses, I wasn't sure.  Where my brain goes, I usually follow.  Seeing Rose and no sign of any of the other horses anywhere, my brain brain took off in turbo mode.  I can honestly say I know what it feels like to have my heart stop and my stomach fall through to my shoes.  I grab my coat and get ready to sprint out the door -- no idea what I was going to do or where to start looking, I figured I'd start with Rose and take it from there.  I take one more look out the window, hoping to see someone ... something, anything to let me know my imagination is in overdrive and taking me the wrong direction. 

I see Mama and Hank stand up from behind one of the terraces, stretching and shaking and getting organized.  Then three more heads pop up from behind the terrace .... goobers!  Everyone of them ... a goober!  They were laying down out of the wind enjoying the sunshine and grabbing a nap and Rose was standing guard.  Pretty smart goobers!


It was so windy it blew Hank's hair straight back off his forehead!

That was the week before last.

Last week - Monday through Wednesday were nice days. Thursday temperature was almost 70-degrees and sunny, positively beautiful!  Friday came and we had snow ALL day.  I think we ended up with between 6 and 8 inches.  There were big fat fluffy sloppy flakes, teeny tiny icy flakes, sleet, not exactly sleet, snow falling gently, snow coming in sideways .... it was pretty much white stuff out of the sky all day long. 


Shadow says ..... "Did you know it is snowing?  Good thing I'm not a white horse - you'd never see me!"

Nicker and Miss, Nicker doing her "walk under" move and no, her butt is not really that big - camera angle.

Shadow being pitiful, having to dig for hay - I'm not sure what was wrong the hay I threw by the barn....

Hank seemed to like the hay by the barn ...

Nicker is not about to let a little snow stop her from keeping to her workout routine.

Maybe that is why Nicker is wearing so much snow, she's trying to look like the truck ...

Nicker and Miss helping clear the snow off the rear window.  They are such helpful girls!

Mama

I don't know why Nicker is snowier than Miss .... she's closer to the ground?



Shadow and Miss "horsing" around (sorry ... couldn't help myself) and Nicker has the hay to herself.  Shadow may be bigger, Miss has the upper hand.....and Nicker's got the hay!



Views of the creek from the living room

Going for a walkabout inbetween snow squalls.


Nicker being "Nicker"


Snowy Mama

Rose had the best seat in the house, next to the woodshed mostly out of the wind and fresh hay at her feet.


Snowed pretty good every now and again ....


Snowy Shadow ... don't ask me what he was doing out in the snow, everyone else was in the shed and Shadow was standing guard (maybe?) at the gate into the corral.  Either that or he just thought he looked extra handsome (he did) with snow flurries and was waiting for me to take his picture, which of course -- I did!

Miss chasing Hank 'round the shed.

Miss' new favorite game is "Steal The Hat"


She likes to twirl the stolen hat

Teaching Nicker how to twirl a hat

Nicker needs to practice hat twirling ....
In the shed waiting out the storm


This boy had more fun than anyone ...
Murphy loves the snow and spent as much of the day as we'd let him, outside in the snow. 
I really think he thought it snowed just cause he likes it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment