Monday, March 15, 2010

Rose is on a roll .... actually not so much rolling as laying down

The girl about gave me a heart attack!  As I've mentioned, Rose is the mare that was here when we moved in and near as we can guesstimate she is about 30 years old.  A real blustery sweetheart of a horse.  She has stiffness in her hind legs, almost as you would if your hips were fused, and arthritis in her knees.  Vet said the stiffness in her hindquarters was due to an injury and she isn't in pain -- so we just keep an eye on her and make sure she is safe.  Miss and Nicker adore her, so it is all good.  That said .... geeze, she almost stopped my heart today.


I looked out the window window and there was Rose flat out on her side.  That is Rose just to the right of the standing horse (Miss).  The other horses regularly lay down, curl up (as much as a horse can curl up) and nap, and roll over.  Rose not so much so.  We've seen her rolling a couple of times, never just flat out laying down.  Miss, as you can see was standing over her and as I watched her hind legs were twitching .... and I thought the worst, especially when Miss walked over and stated sniffing her and then Hank joined the sniff session. 

Now that I'm looking at the picture, I noticing a nap theme .... one standing in the middle, the others napping around the one in the middle.  Oh my, theses are some silly horses. 

Anyway, back to Rose.  I snapped a picture, I wanted to catch in on film as we never see her laying down and then as I saw her legs twitching, didn't want to take any more pictures, if something bad was going on -- now is not the time to do photo journalist thing.  Called Andrew and made sure he had the numbers to the vet (been meaning to do that for some time any way), grabbed my coat and headed out the door at a sprint. 

By the time I was out the door and up the walk heading to where Rose was ... the herd was on their feet and heading up the hill.  Rose was / is just fine.  That girl is just killing me ...

I"m hoping this is it - that she is done messing with my mind ... between walking through the pond and coating herself top to bottom with mud last week and then the laying down and doing the twitchy thing today I'm not sure how much more my heart can take.  Good thing she is such a sweetheart, cause dang that girl sends me straight round the bend!

No comments:

Post a Comment